3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
The weather is warming up across the country. This marks planting season for many farmers and it can for you too! Even if you do not have a green thumb, there are a number of vegetables anyone grow right in their backyard – no matter where you live.
Sown into the ground or a container, root vegetables are normally easy to grow, especially carrots and radishes. They do need a little bit of room to grow, however. This means having containers at least the size of a 5-gallon bucket. Dirt and compost will serve as proper soil with fertilizer recommended once a month.
As seedlings begin to sprout, you will need to thin out any clusters. This ensures each plant has enough space to fully develop. Knowing when to harvest root vegetables is the same regardless of the type. When the tops get large, green, and bushy it is a sign to pull a couple out to test the size. If they look fully grown, it’s time to harvest.
Lettuce, spinach, kale, oh my! It may surprise you, but leafy vegetables are hardy plants that are easy to grow. Most leafy vegetables enjoy cooler temperatures and can even handle a little bit of frost. This means their growing season can be longer than other vegetables and in some areas be grown year-round.
For as large as they grow, growing leafy vegetables does not require much room. Containers are simply fine and can even be tucked under taller plants to save space. And since leafy veggies grow so fast, you do not need to plant a whole lot. Instead, plant as many as you may want to consume every couple weeks and you will be enjoying fresh salads all season long.
Tomatoes are a vegetable… and a fruit. Botanically, being a ripened flower ovary with seeds makes tomatoes a fruit. But nutritionally, vegetables are used to indicate plant parts that are not exceedingly high in fructose. Regardless of their classification, homegrown tomatoes are prized in the summertime.
There are a variety of tomatoes to choose from Beefsteaks to cherry and most are simple to grow. Some varieties like the Cherry Cascade can be grown in a hanging basket on your patio. Others can climb wire rods to provide tomatoes for months while others happily grow on top of the soil.
Growing your own vegetables is a fantastic way to boost the flavor of your favorite dishes. Whether you choose to grow one vegetable or an entire salad bowls worth of variety, one thing is for certain – you’ll think twice about going back to grocery store produce!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 2020 Commencement Speech Quotes for All of Us
- Is Fasting a Fad?
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Summer is Almost Here! Can a Couch-to-5k Running Program Get You Ready?
- Special Needs Child? Consider Survivorship Life Insurance
- The Case(s) to Buy Life Insurance for Your Child
- The Safest Vehicles to Buy in Model Year 2020