6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
It’s that time of year again – the cold weather is here! Unfortunately, though cold weather offers many fun seasonal activities, it can also be uncomfortable and dangerous. To stay safe and healthy during the cold weather, make sure to follow these six tips:
Stay well nourished – To avoid feeling sluggish and out of energy, it is essential to stay well-nourished. Eat nutritious food that will give you the energy you need. In addition, drink plenty of fluids, especially if you exercise outside in cold weather conditions.
Stay well rested – Getting enough rest is essential for health and well-being as your body expends more energy during winter than in warmer months. Most physicians recommend between seven and nine hours of sleep per night.
Take a break – When you feel overwhelmed by the cold or need some time out from all the hustle and bustle of winter life, take a moment for yourself. Go for a walk outdoors or enjoy a hot bath! Soothe your throat and lungs with steamy teas to ease congestion.
Stay dry – Keeping yourself dry in wet and cold weather is crucial. Make sure you dress appropriately by wearing layers and choosing cold weather-appropriate materials. This means warm layers underneath with moisture-repellent outer clothing to keep dampness at bay.
Keep a cold weather kit – When traveling in cold weather, it is important to pack the essentials in your cold weather safety kit. Make sure you have clothing and footwear suitable for the conditions, along with plenty of water and snacks.
Plan ahead – Before heading out, plan for the unknown. An untimely vehicle breakdown or sudden change in the weather could leave you unprepared for the elements outside. Map alternative routes and let family or friends know where you are headed.
Cold weather can be a dangerous time for your health, as weather conditions can increase the chance of colds and flu. To keep yourself safe and healthy, follow the tips listed above. And if you are experiencing any cold-related symptoms, such as drowsiness or chest congestion, seek medical attention immediately.
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 2020 Commencement Speech Quotes for All of Us
- Is Fasting a Fad?
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Summer is Almost Here! Can a Couch-to-5k Running Program Get You Ready?
- Special Needs Child? Consider Survivorship Life Insurance
- The Case(s) to Buy Life Insurance for Your Child
- The Safest Vehicles to Buy in Model Year 2020