Summer is Almost Here! Can a Couch-to-5k Running Program Get You Ready?
Summer is almost here. For many of us, now is the time we begin thinking about transforming our bodies from winter mode to swimsuit ready. With just a few weeks left until Memorial Day, a couch-to-5k running program may be just the plan to jumpstart your fitness goals.
What is Couch-to-5k?
Also commonly referred to as C25K, the couch-to-5k program was developed by Josh Clark of Cool Running decades ago. The idea is simple; provide an easy to follow system to get anyone off the couch and get active. Several C25K programs exist today, but in general, the average program last 6 to 12 weeks with the traditional C25K lasting 9 weeks.
The program begins with short running intervals interspersed between longer periods of walking. As the program progresses, the time allotted for running increases until eventually the runner runs a complete 5k (3.1 miles) without stopping. A fine accomplishment at any level!
What Are the Program Benefits?
There are many benefits to the C25K running program. Many of the benefits gained are similar to those you might expect from dedicated a running, walking, cycling, or other cardio program including:
- Weight loss
- Better sleep
- Muscle toning
- Increased energy
But the C25K program has one unique benefit others do not – the satisfaction of achieving a set goal. Running a 5k is an exhilarating experience. One that transcends losing weight or building muscle.
How to Get Started?
Aiming to run a 5k is a great obtainable goal to set. Fortunately, the C25K program can be found free online with a quick Google search or through a downloadable app for Android or iOS. The program is very approachable and perfect for those overwhelmed with the thought of more intense (and expensive) workout options.
Begin at your own pace and progress week to week. And as with any new exercise, be sure to consult with your physician before starting. Good luck and see you at the finish line!
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here’s what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Medicaid Unwinding: Your Questions Answered
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- I’m 60+; Do I Need Life Insurance?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year’s Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- The Harsh Reality of Credit Card Fees
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- How to Choose an In-Home Care Provider for Your Loved One in 5 Steps
- 2020 Commencement Speech Quotes for All of Us
- Is Fasting a Fad?
- 3 Vegetables You Can Plant and Grow Anywhere Right Now!
- Summer is Almost Here! Can a Couch-to-5k Running Program Get You Ready?
- Special Needs Child? Consider Survivorship Life Insurance
- The Case(s) to Buy Life Insurance for Your Child
- The Safest Vehicles to Buy in Model Year 2020